XMAS GIVING: Sign up by Dec. 14 for Christmas hamper and toy programs
The deadline for Tri-City people in need to register for Share Family and Community Services’ holiday food hampers and Christmas toy program is Friday (although there are further opportunities after Dec. 14 — see below). Here’s how to sign up:
Individuals and families in the Tri-Cities with the required documents may apply to receive Christmas toys; toys and/or gifts are available for children 17 and under. (Clients may be asked to provide legal documents indicating they have custody.) Clients may register at only one of the locations below:
• Port Moody: The house next to Port Moody Pacific Grace MB/Chinese Church at 2614 St. Johns St. (across the alley from the Share food bank). Registrations will be accepted from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays through Dec. 14.
• Coquitlam: Fellowship hall, Como Lake United Church, 535 Marmont St. (corner of King Albert and Marmont Street). Registration will be accepted Wednesdays and Fridays, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., through Nov. 30; after Nov. 30, registration will continue at the Port Moody location.
• Port Coquitlam: Trinity United Church, 2211 Prairie Ave. (corner of Prairie and Shaughnessy Street). Registration will be accepted Wednesdays and Fridays through Nov. 30, noon to 2 p.m.; after Nov. 30, registration will continue at the Port Moody location
At the time of registration clients must apply in person with the following current ID:
• proof of Address (e.g., rental agreement, recent utility bill);
• CareCards and/or immigration cards for all members of the family;
• income source (e.g., cheque stub from MSD, EI, CPP/OAS, WCB); no means test is required as the source of income is used for tracking purposes only.
Note: After Dec. 14, all Christmas toy registration enquiries can be directed to Share food bank, 2615 Clarke St., Port Moody (rear of the building). For more information, call 604-931-2451 or check www.sharesociety.ca.
Registration for Christmas food hampers for Tri-Cities residents is being handled differently this year.
Current food bank clients do not need to register for a Christmas food hamper; only those who have never been to a Share food bank or who have not attended for more than six months will need to register.
Christmas food hampers will be available for pick-up on regular food bank days at the client’s regular food bank location — either on Dec. 12 or 19 between the following hours:
• Port Coquitlam — noon to 2 p.m.;
• Coquitlam — 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.;
• Port Moody — 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.;
Recipients should come prepared to carry their hamper home.
Tiny Bundles clients will receive one Christmas hamper on either Dec. 12 or 19. Tiny Bundles families can come on both dates to get their special Tiny Bundle items only.