Connect with Us
Community Safety volunteers at work
Once again, during late November and through December, Community Safety volunteers are focusing on parking areas in retail locations.
They are targeting shoppers during the Christmas season to educate them on the importance of securing their purchases out of sight, along with any other valuables.
“Safe for the Season” tip cards containing information on vehicle crime-prevention practices will be left on windshields as volunteers patrol parking lots and talk with shoppers.
“We’ve seen huge success with this program and we are excited to see it back for a fourth year,” said crime-prevention co-ordinator Sandro Piroddi.
“We couldn’t do it without our fantastic volunteer team.”
Some tips for shoppers to consider:
• Do not leave any holiday shopping items in plain view (secure it in the trunk or cover it).
• Do not leave items unattended for long periods of time (when possible, take things home between trips).
• Do park in well-lit areas, close to buildings with heavy foot traffic.
• Do pay attention to surroundings when placing items in the vehicle (make sure you are not being observed).
• Do use a steering-wheel lock.
• Do install an immobilizer or an alarm system.
• Do not think “it won’t happen to me.”