Connect with Us
Accent Inns’ Sheena Brooks went extra mile for guests
Office gossip is all too often a negative thing, but when your co-workers chat about your great work ethic, that’s something different entirely.
So it was for Sheena Brooks, who works at the reservation desk at Accent Inns Vancouver Airport.
Brooks was honoured with a Tourism Richmond Service Award for going the extra mile for visitors of the hotel.
As grateful and honoured as she was to receive the award, her actions aren’t motivated by self interest, she said.
Brooks grew up in Toronto, and it was her mother who instilled in her that she should be a good person. She was encouraged to volunteer at the homeless shelter and food bank.
“To me it just comes naturally,” Brooks said. “If I can help, that’s what I’ll do.”
Brooks was drawn to the tourism industry because she wanted to work with people.
It is the interactions, the different personalities, the people and the cultures that make the work interesting, she said.
If you’re a people person and a go-getter, this is the perfect industry for you, she said. It’s advice she’s given to her own family and friends.
Brooks was nominated by a colleague, who wrote: “She always goes above and beyond the call of duty. I am 44 years old and have worked since the age of 15 and I have never worked with a person quite like Sheena. I have seen Sheena miss her bus at midnight to help our guests and me. Sheena is always willing to help out no matter how busy she is. Amazing.”
The nominator added: “I saw Sheena give a girl named Zoe a bear which she bought with her own money. Big heart. Zoe’s grandma told me how it made Zoe’s day.
“Sheena’s smile and caring towards guests and co-workers makes a person’s day...”
The other finalists for the Extra Mile Award—who were selected monthly last year—were:
• Raeburn McDougall—Delta Vancouver Airport
• Trina Armour, Mia Yoon, Kathy Nguyen—Vancouver Airport Marriott Hotel
• Mike Harvey—River Rock Casino Resort
• Crystal Lalonde—Fairmont Vancouver Airport
• David Li—River Rock Casino Resort
• John Lal—Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel
• Mercida Tolenada—Hilton Vancouver Airport
• Shawn Scott—PriceSmart Foods
• Balwinder Brar—Days Inn Vancouver Airport
• Stephanie Wong—Hilton Vancouver Airport
• Madelyn Turqueza—Marquis YVR