Health & Fitness evaluation ... a reality check
Updated: February 25, 2013 11:32 AM
By: Angie Bunnell - Surrey Kin's Green Fighter
As one of the lucky individuals chosen to be a "Kin's Green Fighter" I received a health and fitness evaluation. Boy, did I get a reality check!
Part of being selected as 1 of 13 contestants in this competition meant that I received a very comprehensive health/fitness analysis. Blood work, Dexa Scan, fitness testing (ECG treadmill stress test, pushups, situps, flexibility....) Lung capacity, grip strength - the works!
Here's what I learned:
- I have 47.5% body fat. Are you SERIOUS?! I mean I know that I have gained weight, but that made me feel sick! How utterly embarrassing! I'm told that the "average woman" should have roughly 25%-33% body fat.
Embarrassment aside, the DEXA Scan was interesting. You lay on a bed, toes taped together, and a machine scans your body for 6 minutes measuring lean muscle, fat, and bone density. Apparently I do have a good amount of muscle, it's just all hidden "under a nice layer of fat" ...... sigh
- my bone density is not that great (I will now be taking Vitamin D along with a multi-vitamin and Omega 3-6-9)
- I lasted 9 minutes on the treadmill stress test until I got to my target heart rate (I'll be aiming for longer at my final evaluation after this 13 weeks. Time to up that cardio and get my heart even healthier)
- I can do 30 full standardized situps in 1 minute (this puts me in the "good" range)
- I can do 7 standardized "men" pushups (feet together, on your toes ... I'm unsure if this is "good" or "bad" as I cannot find a chart for women based on a full pushup, they all seem to be based on doing a pushup from the knees)
- I can jump, although I'm not exactly sure how high? (I forgot to get that measurement!)
- my flexibility is decent ... there is always room for improvement (more yoga here I come!)
- I don't get enough protein (I don't like milk, I don't eat much red meat ... I'm a veggies, beans, salad, smoothie and fruit kinda gal)
- my lung function is fantastic (yay for not smoking!) I met 99%-100% of what was expected
- my cholesterol level is slightly high (which, even though it's genetic, it's very important to me to fix this ... healthy heart, healthy body is the goal here!!)
So here I am ... can you see all that light pink? That's FAT! All that dark pink, MUSCLE! I want more dark pink, less light pink
And apparently, according to my eldest daughter I have a small head! (I already knew that thank you!)
All in all, the health and fitness evaluation was very informative! Now it's time to GET HEALTHIER!